There have been plenty of diet trends that became popular for the past few years and one of them is the gluten-free diet. A lot of people were encouraged to try out this medical diet because it seems to work for others. If you are searching for information about the gluten-free diet, you came to the right place. At Wave The Grain, we will be sharing information on how to lose weight on a gluten-free diet. If you want to know more information, make sure to continue reading below.
What is Gluten?
Gluten is a protein usually found in barley, rye, wheat, and other processed foods like bread, cereals, and pasta.
What is a Gluten-Free Diet?
The gluten-free diet is a medical diet created and prescribed for individuals diagnosed with celiac disease and gluten intolerance. Individuals with celiac disease have permanent intolerance to gluten. Adopting a gluten-free diet will allow them to manage symptoms like anemia, bloating, cramps, diarrhea, headaches, etc. Nowadays, a lot of people are going gluten-free to lose weight because they heard that it helps lose weight. Will it help you lose weight? We will find out below.
Does a Gluten-Free Diet Help Lose Weight?
Most people without celiac disease or gluten intolerance have been trying the gluten-free diet because it has helped with weight loss and it is known for helping improve general health. But does it help with weight loss? There is no scientific evidence to support that going gluten-free will lead to weight loss. It usually goes hand in hand with other factors.
What Are the Strategies That Can Be Done to Help Lose Weight With the Gluten-Free Diet?
- Do your research about the gluten-free diet – Before going gluten-free, you should know that there are certain things to learn about. For example, processed foods like canned soups contain gluten. Some soy sauce brands list wheat as one of their ingredients. Most beer products are made with barley and have gluten. By not doing your homework on the gluten-free diet, you might make a mistake that can lead to a bad glutening.
- Avoid eating processed gluten-free foods – When eating gluten-free foods you must eat in moderation. Do not eat too much. When eating gluten-free foods, the more calories you eat, the more you will not be able to lose weight. You must count the calories when eating so that you do not end up consuming a lot.
- Count your calorie intake – A lot of individuals find that they lose weight effortlessly when they try gluten-free foods. Weight loss can be achieved through a caloric deficit, which simply means that you must use and burn more calories than you consume every day. It usually comes at about 15-20 pounds worth of weight loss for most people.
When you go gluten-free, it will help decrease food cravings and suppress the appetite. When an individual has a reduced appetite, this will help them lower their consumption of calories. If you want to continue the weight loss, then you have to count the calories within the daily recommendation rate for your body. You must track the calories that you intake every day. Not only that, but you must also burn the calories and be mindful of the calories that you eat throughout the day.
- Eat only gluten-free foods – When you decide to go on a gluten-free diet, you should make sure that you are actually going gluten-free. Gluten can be found in places that you will not suspect. You must eliminate all wheat and gluten in your diet. If you fail to do this, you will not be able to stop the insulin response of the body that keeps you from losing weight.
- Grain-free and low-carb diet – Foods that are high in carbohydrates such as fruits and legumes must be limited and you must eat in moderation gluten-free-based foods like cereals, snacks, and other foods that use high fructose corn syrup as one of their ingredients, etc. You can be mindful of your nutritional needs and do a gluten-free low-carbohydrate diet.
- Check food labels – Most of the time, a gluten-free diet can be started by checking food labels and avoiding foods that contain gluten or wheat. However, manufacturers do not disclose instances where the product may have gluten cross-contamination during the production. You must stick with products that have gluten-free labels so you can avoid eating foods that contain gluten.
- Avoid gluten-free junk food – When you go for the gluten-free diet, it can be very tempting to replace your stacks of snacks in the pantry with gluten-free junk food. There are a lot of gluten-free food options in grocery stores and restaurants. If you have a gluten intolerance or celiac disease, focusing on your health must be your priority. Individuals diagnosed with celiac disease are usually malnourished. This can be a great time for you to focus on healthy and nutritious foods.
- Physical activities and exercise – When you make the decision to go gluten-free, you should cut out wheat and other gluten-rich foods so you can lose more weight easily. If you want to accelerate the effect, you must also perform physical activity and exercise to lose more weight in the process.
Exercise can help build muscle and lose fat. Muscles burn calories, so this way, you can burn more calories and lose more weight in the process. When going on a gluten-free diet, you must not view it as a replacement for doing physical exercises or going to the gym. If you want to lose weight you must not forget to exercise regularly.
- Preparing meals – When going gluten-free you must prepare yourself to prepare your meals and keep a calorie log. If you want to eat gluten-free foods you must check out Wave The Grain. We have been in business since 2014 and offer healthy and delicious gluten-free foods that do not taste gluten-free.
How Do People Lose Weight on a Gluten-Free Diet?
The most common reason why people experience weight loss when on a gluten-free diet is because they eat foods with lesser calories since they are most likely to consume fruits, vegetables, and healthier foods most of the time. When you are on a gluten-free diet, you cannot eat fast food, junk food, and processed foods.
When individuals go for the gluten-free diet, it is necessary to be mindful of the calories and contents of the food that they intake. When you cut off gluten from your diet, you can have more room for healthier and nutritious foods that can help facilitate weight loss.
FAQs About the Gluten-Free Diet
Are all gluten-free foods healthy?
Not all gluten-free foods are healthy and nutritious. For example, a vegetable, fruit, and gluten-free cake are all gluten-free, but their calories and nutrients vary from one another. Be careful when purchasing gluten-free food as most of the time they are made from a lot of fat and sugar and can be packing a lot of calories.
I am not gluten intolerant nor do I have celiac disease, is it safe for me to go for a gluten-free diet?
Yes, the gluten-free diet is safe. When done properly, it can provide you with a structure to eating healthier food options and adopting a healthy lifestyle. When you go for gluten-free foods, you have to take vitamins and mineral supplements as the gluten-free diet often lacks them. You can consume a diet rich in fruits, vegetables, and legumes.
Is there a connection between gluten and weight loss?
There is no absolute evidence that avoiding gluten from your diet will give you the weight loss outcome that you are looking for. If you are on a gluten-free diet, you will tend to choose healthier foods because you will read food labels and nutrition facts. When you eat gluten-free, you will end up eating whole foods such as vegetables, legumes, lean meats, fruits, etc.
Searching for a shop that offers delicious and healthy gluten-free foods can be tiring. If you are located in Colorado, Wave The Grain is the perfect solution for you. We have special gluten-free products such as groom cakes, bride cakes and we are offering a food catering service with gluten-free food. You can check our menu here. Please contact us by filling up this contact form here. You can choose delivery or pick up by clicking this link.
Important Note: Before going on a gluten-free diet, you must consult your medical practitioner for medical advice. Always remember that you can lose weight if you are on a gluten-free diet as long as you count your calories and exercise daily.
Are you scouting for a shop that offers healthy and delicious gluten-free food? Wave The Grain is worth checking out. We are offering healthy and delicious gluten-free food options for you and your family to share and enjoy. We are also offering catering services.
If you have any inquiries or questions about our shop or the food that we are offering please contact us. You can call at (303) 721-7547 or send an email at Kristin@wavethegrain. We are also offering options for delivery or pickup. Our shop is located at 8172 S Holly St, Centennial, CO 80122. Do you want delicious gluten-free food? Contact us today!